Jonathan (Jon) Davis is a shareholder and Vice President of the firm. Jon graduated cum laude from the University of Maine at Farmington in 1990 with a B.S. in Secondary Education. After teaching high school social studies at Mattanawcook Academy in Lincoln, Maine, Mr. Davis attended the University of Maine School of Law, where he graduated cum laude (J.D. 1994).
Jon began his legal career at the law office of Charles C. LaVerdiere, Esq. (now the Honorable Charles C. LaVerdiere) in Wilton, Maine, where he practiced commercial law, family law and commercial and residential real estate. Mr. Davis joined Powers & French, P.A. in 1999 and is admitted to practice in all Maine courts, the U.S. District Court for the District of Maine, the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maine, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
Jon’s practice includes:
- Real estate: Assisting clients in buying and selling property, purchase and sale agreements, deed preparation and title searches;
- Estate Planning and Probate: Including preparation of wills, powers of attorney, trusts, estate tax planning and probate of wills and filing in probate court for guardianship or conservatorship for minors or disabled persons;
- Small business planning: Including forming corporations and limited liability companies;
- Family law: Including divorce, enforcement, modification, child custody and visitation, child support, alimony and paternity;
- Landlord-tenant law: Preparation of leases and evictions; and,
- Litigation: Including personal injury, boundary disputes, business disputes and general civil litigation.
Jon is a former member of the Topsham Planning Board and the Bowdoin Land Use/Subdivision Ordinance Writing Committee and Chair of the Town of Bowdoin Zoning Board of Appeals. Jon is a Member of the Bath-Brunswick Bar Association, Cumberland County Bar Association and Maine State Bar Association. Mr. Davis is also a member of the Freeport Rotary Club and participates as a volunteer lawyer with the Maine Volunteer Lawyers Project and the Maine Rural Domestic Violence Project. In 2014 Jon received the “Community Hero Award” from Safe Voices for his work on behalf of victims of domestic violence and is the former president of the Mt. Ararat High School Sports Boosters.
Mr. Davis lives in Bowdoin with his wife Betsey, a speech pathologist and board certified behavior analyst, his two college-aged children, and two dogs (Ollie, a stubborn golden retriever, and Sadie, a skittish golden doodle).